Date: Saturday 25 March 2017 (Anna’s 18th Birthday!)
Starting Point: Reston
Mileage: 13 miles total
Posted by: Dan
The goal of this ride was to grab some coffee and to take care of the weekly grocery shopping trip.
It was me plus two of my three daughters: Sarah(15) and Becca(9).
It was nice… When we left around 9 am, it was in the low sixties. On the way back, it was in the seventies.
When we got to the shopping center, we stopped at a neat coffee shop called CAFIN before going grocery shopping. We wanted to go in the fall during the coffeeneuring challenge, but just never made it. I had a latte and a piece of cake. Sarah had greek yogurt and an iced coffee, while Becca had a chocolate whoopie pie and orange juice. It was a good time and I would go back. I love coffeeneuring.
You carried what?!
Believe it or not, but I carried enough groceries on my bike to feed my family of five for most of a week. The trick is to use our old toddler bike trailer. This week, we are planning to make homemade pizza, fajitas with salsa and chips, a pot of gumbo (I am originally from Louisana), fish tacos with baked fries, grilled chicken with green beans and baked potatoes, as well as black-eyed peas, cabbage and cornbread muffins. We already had celery, flour, cheese, lettuce, potatoes, milk, lunch meat and eggs. We bought:
- Produce: A head of cabbage, 2 1/2 pounds of bananas, a cantaloupe, an avocado, two bell peppers, mini cucumbers and three pounds of oranges.
- Dairy: Two quarts of ice cream (for the birthday party), a quart of yogurt, and a half pint of sour cream.
- Staples: Two boxes of cornbread mix, a jar of jalapeno peppers, a can of green beans, two cans of tomatoes, a two-pound bag of crinkle cut frozen french fries and a box of rice squares cereal.
- Bakery: A loaf of bread and two packs of flour tortillas. The bread made it back un-smooshed.
- Snacks: Peanut butter crackers, pita crackers, four large bags of chips, fruit cups, animal crackers (for the kids.. not really), a three-pack of mini milk chocolate bars and a bottle of iced coffee (for Sarah).
- Meat: A pound of skirt steak, a pound of sausage, a box of fish sticks (for fish tacos) and about three points of chicken.
- Medicine: A bottle of Acetaminophen and a bottle of Ibuprofen (as a donation for a mission trip to an orphanage in Haiti coming up in April.)
Pretty awesome, huh? This is a trick I learned from Mr Money Mustache’s Blog. It is easier than it sounds.
While Aldi has great prices, they did not have everything on the list. I think we are going to have to go somewhere else to get black-eyed peas, two ears of corn, cilantro and brown rice, which we still need.
How did it turn out?
We had a good ride. I think this ride checks off three errands: “going to the store,” “you carried what?!” and “social call.”
What did I learn?
My 9-year-old daughter can ride over 12 miles. Well done Becca!
Total Miles (so far): 51
Total Errands Completed: 7
Errand breakdown (by Category):
>Personal Care: 0
>Personal Business: 0
>You carried WHAT on your bike (or back)?!: 2
>Arts and Entertainment: 0
>Non-Store Errand: 0
>Social Call: 1
>Work or Volunteering, School: 2
>Wild Card: 0